Skip to main content

Why I Am Not A Christian Universalist.

 It seems to me that the angel of light known as universal reconciliation has crept into the Church via the unguarded back door and has taken root amongst the pews firmly. I have seen a lot of clergy and laity alike confess to believing in universalism. I admit I looked at the sources, I reasoned with myself and others as to why a loving God would throw anyone into hell, that it should be that love wins in the end. I also looked at the different names in the bible namely hades, sheol, the pit that are used to describe hell, but convinced myself they are in fact different locations, meaning different places we go to when we die. Universalism is a inclusivity doctrine. Its inclusive because lets face it if we throw hell out of the basket, it doesn't half make Christianity look appealing to the masses!

 Why believe in the doctrine of hell at all? Well that's simple. I believe in hell and all of its thorny outplaying's because I believe in the teachings of Jesus.

Jesus Himself spoke of hell more than anyone else, and a quick search will reveal the amount of times in the bible Jesus referred to outer darkness and eternal suffering for those who reject God and continue in a life of sin. In fact Jesus stressed the seriousness of sin more than anyone else and strongly condemned all who continue in sin. No matter how unpopular it makes one, hell was a very real place for Jesus and attempts to soften the blow for those who are not God's children should be looked at with caution. God is a holy God and you cannot stand before a holy God with sin stained grubby faces. Paul speaks of a time of “wrath and anger” awaiting those who reject the truth (Rom. 2:8). He declares that those who do not obey the gospel “will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord” (2 Thess. 1:9). 

Hell magnifies God's holiness, God's justice and God's grace. Jesus used figurative language to describe hell, Gehenna as an example. This does not mean that these places are separate they are all places that point to a stark reality. That reality means that in the end Love wins, but it doesn't mean that it will be all love and light for everyone in creation. Sometimes love not reciprocated means quarantine, and separation from God, eternal separation from God. God does not force anyone into hell, people go there of their own accord because they cannot stand in front of a holy God and accept His love and God does not break free will and force someone to love Him back as that would be abuse. Sometimes love looks like darkness for some who despite everything continue to dismiss the hand of mercy held out for them. 

Love allows one to give and take, to grow and flourish. Not everyone wants that. So this is why a loving God would send someone to hell. Because they refuse to accept the outpouring of love and grace and the wages of sin is death.

How could a loving God send people to hell?  But the question we should ask is this: how could a holy God allow me into His new heaven and new earth? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIP should be paid in vouchers?

"PIP should be paid in vouchers"  I'll explain in detail why this is a bad idea, but can I ask why all the solutions to the imagined mass fraud is to hurt disabled people more in the process? I'm sure some people think they're doing the right thing, many probably understand fine well it would hurt disabled people and they have forgotten they can become disabled at any point in their lives.  Instead of starting with how it would hurt us (disabled people) I'll explain how it would hurt the state.  It would cost MILLIONS to set up a whole IT system, set up partnerships with business, the amount of civil servants that would need to oversee invoices would just be immense. It would cost more than it would ever be intended to save, sort of like the current assessment system that sees tax payers cash endlessly going to tribunals because they've refused a disabled person help, 2/3rds of all claimants that take their case to full tribunal win. It again costs the sta...

PIP and how society treats the disabled.

  Maybe the real problem with society is that people don’t think disabled people should be allowed any joy. They have to stay in their homes, moping, being sad, and not having any fun. Because everyone else is really fucking miserable. Therefore, we have to be too. And this is why people have so much of a problem with what disabled people spend their money on. “ If they are spending my hard-earned cash, then they need to be miserable” “ They can’t have nice hair or lashes” heaven forbid a disabled person makes an effort with their appearance. “ They can’t drink or smoke” but what if that is a coping mechanism for them to stay alive? “ They can’t have holidays! I can't afford a holiday, so why should they get one!” People forget that PIP is not an out-of-work benefit; it is there to cover the costs of things associated with disability and independence. People also forget that disabled people may have a working partner, families who give them money, inherita...

A hectic morning

 It's 5am. The sun is shining with an orange-red glow on my net curtains, I had to capture it for you. I grabbed a coffee with collagen in it. Without the collagen my joints really hurt. Then I headed outside to water my herbs and get the washing in.  Its hot out there already in this heatwave we have been experiencing. Yes its been great for getting outdoor work done, but it is exhausting as there is little breeze and my fibromyalgia plays up big time in the heat. Not to mention I could go toxic on Lithium. Can't recommend this book enough! Really good read if you want to do any type of writing. There are no secrets or rules. You have to want to write like you not someone else. I have found this book invaluable. When I sit down and take a painkiller if my back is hurting too much, I read this book. It helps. With fibromyalgia, it can flare at any point. I had to catch a taxi home the other day as it felt like wading through waist-high wet sand with blood pouring out of the so...