Skip to main content

Christmas At Mottisfont.

This year we are celebrating Christmas at Mottisfont. Mottisfont is a National Trust Heritage site and as a family we have never been. We are National Trust Members so we will get in for free. Parking is also free, as we do not fancy a walk through fields with livestock in them. Mottisfont is Romsey way, you can get there by train but by far the best way to get there is by bike. There are cycle lanes that involve some serious scenery.

This year Mottisfont are featuring the Nutcracker. They will be closed until the 23rd November where they will open the doors to the public, with a fully decorated lights extravaganza and decorations with the theme in mind. It is perfect for little ones. I have bought Paul some wellies as its Autumn and muddy, we are going to be walking along the gardens. 

There is also a café and gift shop available on site. Membership is around £13 a month for my family, and I get a gift card to spend at Mottisfont. Membership gets you into many National Trust sites and this is perfect for home educating families. I'm sure Paul is going to moan that the Nutcracker is for little kids but I am going to teach him about set design, what it entails and how much effort goes into it all. I used to be a Stage Manager you see. Back at home I am going to get Paul to have a think and draw his ideal home he wants to live in when he is older. Its all about turning every opportunity for him to think into a educational activity. 

We are hiring out a car for the day to go to Mottisfont, and afterward we are going to Romsey to have a look around. I really want to go to the Wisdom Centre but Barry says this will be too much for Paul. We are going shopping when we get back to Southampton as we have a car it makes sense to do a Christmas shop, well as best we can anyway. 

What are your plans for Christmas?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIP should be paid in vouchers?

"PIP should be paid in vouchers"  I'll explain in detail why this is a bad idea, but can I ask why all the solutions to the imagined mass fraud is to hurt disabled people more in the process? I'm sure some people think they're doing the right thing, many probably understand fine well it would hurt disabled people and they have forgotten they can become disabled at any point in their lives.  Instead of starting with how it would hurt us (disabled people) I'll explain how it would hurt the state.  It would cost MILLIONS to set up a whole IT system, set up partnerships with business, the amount of civil servants that would need to oversee invoices would just be immense. It would cost more than it would ever be intended to save, sort of like the current assessment system that sees tax payers cash endlessly going to tribunals because they've refused a disabled person help, 2/3rds of all claimants that take their case to full tribunal win. It again costs the sta...

A review: Portswood High Street and Chaiiwala.

  Whenever I go to Portswood, it never fails to stop me in my tracks by how much litter is just everywhere. The bins are always overflowing. Portswood is neither inferior nor superior; it just is. Residents are more than a little ticked off with the protests from the far right and far left, and the police presence that goes with that. The traffic is always hectic when these protests take place, hard to navigate when all you want to do is pop to the shops for a quick bite.  Portswood has a high number of muslims in the area and as such most eateries are halal. Problematic for many people, especially Christians. There are some churches within Portswood, but I have never stepped foot into a charismatic flavour known as Victory church. I hear they are popular, but I am more of the contemplative type.  There are some good businesses on Portswood High Street. They have a large Sainsbury's, with an Argos inside. Shame they never have anything in stock. A popular Waitrose serves ...

PIP and how society treats the disabled.

  Maybe the real problem with society is that people don’t think disabled people should be allowed any joy. They have to stay in their homes, moping, being sad, and not having any fun. Because everyone else is really fucking miserable. Therefore, we have to be too. And this is why people have so much of a problem with what disabled people spend their money on. “ If they are spending my hard-earned cash, then they need to be miserable” “ They can’t have nice hair or lashes” heaven forbid a disabled person makes an effort with their appearance. “ They can’t drink or smoke” but what if that is a coping mechanism for them to stay alive? “ They can’t have holidays! I can't afford a holiday, so why should they get one!” People forget that PIP is not an out-of-work benefit; it is there to cover the costs of things associated with disability and independence. People also forget that disabled people may have a working partner, families who give them money, inherita...