Skip to main content

Its not yet Christmas. Why the Incarnation happened.

    Went to town today with Barry. We bought a Christmas tree before they put the prices up to silly amounts. Only to find that when we got in and were putting it away, we had an sealed box with a Christmas tree in. Clearly I had bought one last year in preparation for this year. Barry was so impressed with me. I wanted to say though that it is November, we have only just got out of Halloween, and the shops have gone Christmas bonkers already.

Down the city centre I am told the Christmas market is out already. Which is a nightmare to navigate as people walk around hypnotised by all the flashing lights and hot Baileys chocolate. Christmas is 6 weeks away, some people are utter sheeple when it comes to Christmas. Spending money on things no one needs, I mean really do you want that Santa snow globe?

Im glad I have plans for Christmas already, things booked in advance. The whole point of Christmas is that you slow down not speed up. And has everyone actually forgotten why we have Christmas at all?

Its the birth of our saviour Jesus Christ. Yet everyone seems to think Christmas is a secular holiday designed for drinking copious amounts of booze and parties. Not many honour the day as sacred. In fact why do people who are not Christian have any right to a day off and a holiday anyway? People don't have holidays for Lent, so why is Christmas any different? Atheists should be working on Christmas day, its just another day to them. 

Im being miserable now.

Christmas brings out the best and the worst for me. I think of pensioners shivering in old damp properties, barely staying warm. Those families who cant afford gifts for their children in high rise tower blocks. Kids rummaging through rubbish and old toys thrown out into the bin,  to make room for the new, for those kids whose parents can afford new. People working in soup kitchens with the homeless. Those who feel isolated and lonely. Those whose family and friends have died and how painful Christmas is for them. Those in wheelchairs or the disabled who cant get out of the house to celebrate. The list goes on.

This time of the year is hard for a lot of people. Those in poverty, those who are ill and those whom society has rejected. For each one of these I pray along with other Christians who DO see those in need and know the real meaning of Christmas, and why the Incarnation came to be. 


This is the Christmas tree, the 4 ft one we bought from Argos. It folds out quite bushy, I am actually impressed for £9. Argos picture from website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIP should be paid in vouchers?

"PIP should be paid in vouchers"  I'll explain in detail why this is a bad idea, but can I ask why all the solutions to the imagined mass fraud is to hurt disabled people more in the process? I'm sure some people think they're doing the right thing, many probably understand fine well it would hurt disabled people and they have forgotten they can become disabled at any point in their lives.  Instead of starting with how it would hurt us (disabled people) I'll explain how it would hurt the state.  It would cost MILLIONS to set up a whole IT system, set up partnerships with business, the amount of civil servants that would need to oversee invoices would just be immense. It would cost more than it would ever be intended to save, sort of like the current assessment system that sees tax payers cash endlessly going to tribunals because they've refused a disabled person help, 2/3rds of all claimants that take their case to full tribunal win. It again costs the sta...

A review: Portswood High Street and Chaiiwala.

  Whenever I go to Portswood, it never fails to stop me in my tracks by how much litter is just everywhere. The bins are always overflowing. Portswood is neither inferior nor superior; it just is. Residents are more than a little ticked off with the protests from the far right and far left, and the police presence that goes with that. The traffic is always hectic when these protests take place, hard to navigate when all you want to do is pop to the shops for a quick bite.  Portswood has a high number of muslims in the area and as such most eateries are halal. Problematic for many people, especially Christians. There are some churches within Portswood, but I have never stepped foot into a charismatic flavour known as Victory church. I hear they are popular, but I am more of the contemplative type.  There are some good businesses on Portswood High Street. They have a large Sainsbury's, with an Argos inside. Shame they never have anything in stock. A popular Waitrose serves ...

PIP and how society treats the disabled.

  Maybe the real problem with society is that people don’t think disabled people should be allowed any joy. They have to stay in their homes, moping, being sad, and not having any fun. Because everyone else is really fucking miserable. Therefore, we have to be too. And this is why people have so much of a problem with what disabled people spend their money on. “ If they are spending my hard-earned cash, then they need to be miserable” “ They can’t have nice hair or lashes” heaven forbid a disabled person makes an effort with their appearance. “ They can’t drink or smoke” but what if that is a coping mechanism for them to stay alive? “ They can’t have holidays! I can't afford a holiday, so why should they get one!” People forget that PIP is not an out-of-work benefit; it is there to cover the costs of things associated with disability and independence. People also forget that disabled people may have a working partner, families who give them money, inherita...