Skip to main content

*That* Coffee Shop

 

Barry ordering me a spiced chai.

10 mins from where I live is a busy coffee shop. I have met friends, ex friends, new friends and had business meetings in there. That coffee shop has seen me in all my different moods and phases. It was also a place of comfort for my autistic son when he was a toddler. They have old rustic sofas in there that he could curl up on and let a meltdown pass, or he could sit and do some colouring in while munching on a gingerbread man. Yes I said gingerbread man, not person because I am old school and it is what it is.

That coffee shop has seen me help those in tears and those whose laughter is infectious. I have poured over documents in that place and also met my old care co ordinator for a session on my mental health. 

The coffee was good, I dont drink coffee any more, but they do an excellent spiced chai and there cakes are always somewhat stale. There hot food is always just warm, so I dont eat there any more. But there is just something about the vibe of the place. I have seen staff come and go and yet its not them that has me pulled back to the place. The chairs are comfy if you get a sofa type chair, if not its the rejected church pew chairs you get to sit on. The décor is the same, but I find that its really easy to chat to God in there. Could it be a thin place? Im unsure about that one. All I do know is there is hardly a week that goes by without me popping in for a spiced chai.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIP should be paid in vouchers?

"PIP should be paid in vouchers"  I'll explain in detail why this is a bad idea, but can I ask why all the solutions to the imagined mass fraud is to hurt disabled people more in the process? I'm sure some people think they're doing the right thing, many probably understand fine well it would hurt disabled people and they have forgotten they can become disabled at any point in their lives.  Instead of starting with how it would hurt us (disabled people) I'll explain how it would hurt the state.  It would cost MILLIONS to set up a whole IT system, set up partnerships with business, the amount of civil servants that would need to oversee invoices would just be immense. It would cost more than it would ever be intended to save, sort of like the current assessment system that sees tax payers cash endlessly going to tribunals because they've refused a disabled person help, 2/3rds of all claimants that take their case to full tribunal win. It again costs the sta...

A review: Portswood High Street and Chaiiwala.

  Whenever I go to Portswood, it never fails to stop me in my tracks by how much litter is just everywhere. The bins are always overflowing. Portswood is neither inferior nor superior; it just is. Residents are more than a little ticked off with the protests from the far right and far left, and the police presence that goes with that. The traffic is always hectic when these protests take place, hard to navigate when all you want to do is pop to the shops for a quick bite.  Portswood has a high number of muslims in the area and as such most eateries are halal. Problematic for many people, especially Christians. There are some churches within Portswood, but I have never stepped foot into a charismatic flavour known as Victory church. I hear they are popular, but I am more of the contemplative type.  There are some good businesses on Portswood High Street. They have a large Sainsbury's, with an Argos inside. Shame they never have anything in stock. A popular Waitrose serves ...

PIP and how society treats the disabled.

  Maybe the real problem with society is that people don’t think disabled people should be allowed any joy. They have to stay in their homes, moping, being sad, and not having any fun. Because everyone else is really fucking miserable. Therefore, we have to be too. And this is why people have so much of a problem with what disabled people spend their money on. “ If they are spending my hard-earned cash, then they need to be miserable” “ They can’t have nice hair or lashes” heaven forbid a disabled person makes an effort with their appearance. “ They can’t drink or smoke” but what if that is a coping mechanism for them to stay alive? “ They can’t have holidays! I can't afford a holiday, so why should they get one!” People forget that PIP is not an out-of-work benefit; it is there to cover the costs of things associated with disability and independence. People also forget that disabled people may have a working partner, families who give them money, inherita...