Skip to main content

Is Christmas Commercialised?

 Yes, yes it is. I went out to the shops today. Everywhere I looked from what to wear to a thousand different ways to stuff a turkey, Christmas is commercialised. The meaning of the celebration which is Christs birth has long been forgotten in a xmas bonanza of egg nog lattes and pink xmas tree's. 

There are shops specialising in what to wear for xmas, that all important big event, the main attraction being a table stuffed full of treats. But why are you even doing this? Do you even know where the turkey came from? Do you know why we have presents? Do you even know that church is open for a service on xmas day? Do you even know why we celebrate December 25th? or has it all been lost in German markets and crunchy sausages and flat warm beer? 

I looked through my copy of Good Housekeeping today and out of around 100 pages telling me what to eat, wear, smell like on the 'big day' I found one article by Rev Kate Botley. She asked the same questions such as is xmas commercialised. Its worth a read for this sane article itself.

Tomorrow I may go out and brave the German Market (what has this got to do with Christs birth?) to get to the dreaded Primark as my son needs some sweatshirts. I hate so many people being out but in the run up to xmas no one is staying indoors, with women out in the tightest clothing possible for the Christmas period of cold temperatures. And everyone else walking around with tinsel in their hair and new false Christmas nails a go go. The buses are packed and with my bad back I need to sit down but all seats are taken up by pensioners and buggy'. I really wish I could drive.

Maybe Im being grumpy, I am on the tail end of a manic episode, but I'm just sickly at the sight of people celebrating the 'big day' when no one actually knows or cares for the reason for the season.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIP should be paid in vouchers?

"PIP should be paid in vouchers"  I'll explain in detail why this is a bad idea, but can I ask why all the solutions to the imagined mass fraud is to hurt disabled people more in the process? I'm sure some people think they're doing the right thing, many probably understand fine well it would hurt disabled people and they have forgotten they can become disabled at any point in their lives.  Instead of starting with how it would hurt us (disabled people) I'll explain how it would hurt the state.  It would cost MILLIONS to set up a whole IT system, set up partnerships with business, the amount of civil servants that would need to oversee invoices would just be immense. It would cost more than it would ever be intended to save, sort of like the current assessment system that sees tax payers cash endlessly going to tribunals because they've refused a disabled person help, 2/3rds of all claimants that take their case to full tribunal win. It again costs the sta...

A review: Portswood High Street and Chaiiwala.

  Whenever I go to Portswood, it never fails to stop me in my tracks by how much litter is just everywhere. The bins are always overflowing. Portswood is neither inferior nor superior; it just is. Residents are more than a little ticked off with the protests from the far right and far left, and the police presence that goes with that. The traffic is always hectic when these protests take place, hard to navigate when all you want to do is pop to the shops for a quick bite.  Portswood has a high number of muslims in the area and as such most eateries are halal. Problematic for many people, especially Christians. There are some churches within Portswood, but I have never stepped foot into a charismatic flavour known as Victory church. I hear they are popular, but I am more of the contemplative type.  There are some good businesses on Portswood High Street. They have a large Sainsbury's, with an Argos inside. Shame they never have anything in stock. A popular Waitrose serves ...

PIP and how society treats the disabled.

  Maybe the real problem with society is that people don’t think disabled people should be allowed any joy. They have to stay in their homes, moping, being sad, and not having any fun. Because everyone else is really fucking miserable. Therefore, we have to be too. And this is why people have so much of a problem with what disabled people spend their money on. “ If they are spending my hard-earned cash, then they need to be miserable” “ They can’t have nice hair or lashes” heaven forbid a disabled person makes an effort with their appearance. “ They can’t drink or smoke” but what if that is a coping mechanism for them to stay alive? “ They can’t have holidays! I can't afford a holiday, so why should they get one!” People forget that PIP is not an out-of-work benefit; it is there to cover the costs of things associated with disability and independence. People also forget that disabled people may have a working partner, families who give them money, inherita...