My new wheelchair was ready for me to work with, just in time too, as I had to go to phlebotomy to give a blood sample. As I went past on the bus, I saw an old friend whom I needed to clear the air with. Today, however, was not the day.
I managed to have a successful blood test; the nurse got my vein in one go. Very happy with that.
On the way to Boots the pharmacist, I stopped off at the park with Barry for some refreshments. I picked a big bottle of water, which came in extremely useful later on in the day. The park was beautiful, and everybody seemed to be in high spirits.
My new wheelchair goes over cracks and dips in the pavement without flinging me out of the chair. We even went across the grass!
Onwards to Coffee 1 in Southampton City Centre.
I quickly messaged Paul on Discord and drank my Chai. I went to Boots, picked up a photograph and then we headed home....or so we thought.
Halfway up the high street, Barry bumped into a homeless woman whom we both knew. She was lovely and we stopped and chatted to her for around half an hour. About 10 minutes in, and a few street homeless people started to gather around us, some leaned over me in my wheelchair, which I was not happy about. One woman said there was no such thing as God, as Barry was witnessing to our friend. She then said that without God, she doesn't get paid every day. Clearly, a prostitute this comment was diabolical in nature. She then finished by pointing out she liked my tattoos. Then they left.
We said goodbye to our friend after praying with her.
Towards the end of the high street, Barry spotted a street preacher he needed to pray with, so we went over and asked to pray for him. It was a spiritual warfare prayer, something I am not familiar with, and should be. Then we headed home.
Halfway up the high street, we saw a man lying out on the pavement with two women asking him to go to the hospital. Barry moved over towards him and sat him up. We asked the man if he was ill and whether he needed an ambulance. The two women left as they believed we had this.
The man was called Red. He was clearly homeless and drunk and was crying his heart out. Barry gave him a hug. Red said he lost his dad when he was 3, who was a Mormon, and his stepdad beat him up. Red felt alone and abandoned; it was clear he needed a father. Barry began to tell him about our Almighty Father, one who will always be there for him. We established he was from out of town, and he wanted to know where he could get a shower. Hard request at the weekend. For anyone wanting to know, Southampton Street offers free showers and facilities to the homeless during weekdays. Red was asking at the weekend which is much harder to accomplish. He could have gone to a travel lodge or swimming pool, but he had no clothes, towels or toiletries.
The conversation turned more towards God, and it was clear Red was crying out to God for help. Barry asked him if he could baptise him right now. Red said yes, burst into tears and then took off his T-shirt. Barry put some water into his hands and baptised Red in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He drew a cross on Red's head and asked him if he rejected the devil and all his works, and that he would now follow Christ.
I have never witnessed an emergency baptism before, and yes, we can baptise you do not need to be ordained, we are all part of the Royal Priesthood.
Red settled and started to cry. he explained how he was lost, and Barry told him that with God, he was not lost at all. He kept hugging Barry, its clear he was deprived of human touch. I held his hand; he kept squeezing my hand tighter every time Barry spoke, like he was soaking it up like a sponge.
We left Red, eventually telling him that if he stuck with God, he would have life eternal, and that he always has a home with God.
If ever you come across street people, you can always help out. Pray for them, Pray with them, Feed them, clothe them. Call Street Pastors...
Lord, we thank you for the conversations we had today and for the opportunity to pray with and for others. Lord, will you bless all whom we met today, and Holy Spirit, we ask that our words will be like planting a seed. By your power, let those seeds take root. I want to pray in particular for Red, Lord, would you wrap him closely to you, under your wings and guide him to the right place and the right people. Father, I want to thank you for the gift of healing and witness. May you bless that street preacher, and may your words never fall on deaf ears. Dear God, that prostitute Lord, would you set her free, break all spiritual bondages she has in her life, set her free, Lord, let your love touch her more deeply than her addictions. Let her come home to you, Lord, our true Sanctuary and Hope.
In Jesus Name, Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment