Skip to main content

No fun in the sun


 So here I am with my favourite cherry brandy ice lolly, after my husband chased the ice cream man down like Mo Farrah. I have an electric fan on me, and I am still too hot. I probably am suffering more due to Perimenopause. Rotten creature and foul thing that it is.

My son is at home with me, and he has another fan on him. The temperature gauge says 27 degrees. It is officially summer, and I hate it. I am more of a winter person. If it is cold, you can always add layers and warm up, but if it's hot, you can't cool down so easily.

I am also on a lot of medication that causes my body to not regulate temperature well. I love Autumn. it was when I was born, and I feel much better on rainy days. 

The hot weather also means that I could go toxic on my Lithium. It's not a pretty picture. Shaking, stomach cramps, blurred vision, loose stools. Even for some cases, a trip to the hospital. 

Summer is not fun for everyone. It has been said that domestic violence goes up in the summer, especially if the footballs on. People are more inclined to wander to high places and bridges looking for relief from this life. 

Animals too. Their paws are scorched on the ground if the inconsiderate owner takes them for walks. Cats can get sunburn on the tips of their ears. Animals can be left in hot cars.

The elderly do not cope as well in the heat, either, sparking hospital admissions.

No, I am glad when summer is over.

I am thankful for a week indoors though, reading and writing and praying for rainy days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIP should be paid in vouchers?

"PIP should be paid in vouchers"  I'll explain in detail why this is a bad idea, but can I ask why all the solutions to the imagined mass fraud is to hurt disabled people more in the process? I'm sure some people think they're doing the right thing, many probably understand fine well it would hurt disabled people and they have forgotten they can become disabled at any point in their lives.  Instead of starting with how it would hurt us (disabled people) I'll explain how it would hurt the state.  It would cost MILLIONS to set up a whole IT system, set up partnerships with business, the amount of civil servants that would need to oversee invoices would just be immense. It would cost more than it would ever be intended to save, sort of like the current assessment system that sees tax payers cash endlessly going to tribunals because they've refused a disabled person help, 2/3rds of all claimants that take their case to full tribunal win. It again costs the sta...

A review: Portswood High Street and Chaiiwala.

  Whenever I go to Portswood, it never fails to stop me in my tracks by how much litter is just everywhere. The bins are always overflowing. Portswood is neither inferior nor superior; it just is. Residents are more than a little ticked off with the protests from the far right and far left, and the police presence that goes with that. The traffic is always hectic when these protests take place, hard to navigate when all you want to do is pop to the shops for a quick bite.  Portswood has a high number of muslims in the area and as such most eateries are halal. Problematic for many people, especially Christians. There are some churches within Portswood, but I have never stepped foot into a charismatic flavour known as Victory church. I hear they are popular, but I am more of the contemplative type.  There are some good businesses on Portswood High Street. They have a large Sainsbury's, with an Argos inside. Shame they never have anything in stock. A popular Waitrose serves ...

PIP and how society treats the disabled.

  Maybe the real problem with society is that people don’t think disabled people should be allowed any joy. They have to stay in their homes, moping, being sad, and not having any fun. Because everyone else is really fucking miserable. Therefore, we have to be too. And this is why people have so much of a problem with what disabled people spend their money on. “ If they are spending my hard-earned cash, then they need to be miserable” “ They can’t have nice hair or lashes” heaven forbid a disabled person makes an effort with their appearance. “ They can’t drink or smoke” but what if that is a coping mechanism for them to stay alive? “ They can’t have holidays! I can't afford a holiday, so why should they get one!” People forget that PIP is not an out-of-work benefit; it is there to cover the costs of things associated with disability and independence. People also forget that disabled people may have a working partner, families who give them money, inherita...