Skip to main content

Jason Arday. A tragic and unnecessary death. Online abuse.

 I already knew of Jason Arday.


I knew his story — the autistic boy who didn’t speak until 11, learned to read and write at 18, and went on to become an academic, becoming the youngest Black professor appointed at Cambridge at just 37.

What I didn’t know was what had been unfolding around him recently.

I hadn’t followed the headlines or the scale of the public conversation. So when I heard yesterday that Jason had died at just 41, I started reading.


And honestly, it was heartbreaking.

Because at some point, online scrutiny stops being scrutiny.

Jason’s family have described him as having endured a “campaign of sustained abuse” for more than three years and has asked for it to stop.

But, when did being talked about publicly start meaning someone loses their right to be treated like a human being?

The internet makes it feel like individual actions don’t matter.

“I only shared it.”

“I only commented.”

“I only made a joke.”

But thousands of “onlys” still land on one person.

And that matters.

We can hold people accountable without destroying them. We can question without humiliating. We can care about truth without turning people into entertainment.

And we need to talk more seriously about what online pile-ons do to real people.

Because no one should become public property just because the internet decided they are.

Jason was also a father, partner, brother, uncle, son.

A human being.

And before we post, share or comment, maybe we should ask:

If thousands of people did what I’m about to do, what would it feel like to be on the receiving end?

Rest peacefully, Jason.

I’m so sorry for what you’ve had to endure, and I wish so deeply that it had been different for you.

There need to be laws that protect this from happening time and time again; it’s unethical that an individual gets unbearable online abuse with no action to stop it.

When will we finally learn?! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIP should be paid in vouchers?

"PIP should be paid in vouchers"  I'll explain in detail why this is a bad idea, but can I ask why all the solutions to the imagined mass fraud is to hurt disabled people more in the process? I'm sure some people think they're doing the right thing, many probably understand fine well it would hurt disabled people and they have forgotten they can become disabled at any point in their lives.  Instead of starting with how it would hurt us (disabled people) I'll explain how it would hurt the state.  It would cost MILLIONS to set up a whole IT system, set up partnerships with business, the amount of civil servants that would need to oversee invoices would just be immense. It would cost more than it would ever be intended to save, sort of like the current assessment system that sees tax payers cash endlessly going to tribunals because they've refused a disabled person help, 2/3rds of all claimants that take their case to full tribunal win. It again costs the sta...

A review: Portswood High Street and Chaiiwala.

  Whenever I go to Portswood, it never fails to stop me in my tracks by how much litter is just everywhere. The bins are always overflowing. Portswood is neither inferior nor superior; it just is. Residents are more than a little ticked off with the protests from the far right and far left, and the police presence that goes with that. The traffic is always hectic when these protests take place, hard to navigate when all you want to do is pop to the shops for a quick bite.  Portswood has a high number of muslims in the area and as such most eateries are halal. Problematic for many people, especially Christians. There are some churches within Portswood, but I have never stepped foot into a charismatic flavour known as Victory church. I hear they are popular, but I am more of the contemplative type.  There are some good businesses on Portswood High Street. They have a large Sainsbury's, with an Argos inside. Shame they never have anything in stock. A popular Waitrose serves ...

PIP and how society treats the disabled.

  Maybe the real problem with society is that people don’t think disabled people should be allowed any joy. They have to stay in their homes, moping, being sad, and not having any fun. Because everyone else is really fucking miserable. Therefore, we have to be too. And this is why people have so much of a problem with what disabled people spend their money on. “ If they are spending my hard-earned cash, then they need to be miserable” “ They can’t have nice hair or lashes” heaven forbid a disabled person makes an effort with their appearance. “ They can’t drink or smoke” but what if that is a coping mechanism for them to stay alive? “ They can’t have holidays! I can't afford a holiday, so why should they get one!” People forget that PIP is not an out-of-work benefit; it is there to cover the costs of things associated with disability and independence. People also forget that disabled people may have a working partner, families who give them money, inherita...